Thursday, June 18, 2009

Community Garden 2009



Well it looks like Gateway Greening did another good job with the garden this year. From what I've observed, it looks like they've partnered up with Ethel Hedgeman Lyle Academy and the Downtown Children's Center, to put in beds, cut the grass, and plant flowers and vegetables.

I believe Gateway Greening's philosophy is to create beautiful green spaces in unused city spaces and to educate people about the possibilities of growing food that doesn't have to be trucked into the city.

Their one request - as we can see from the sign the DCC made - is that you clean up after your dogs.

Early this spring, I tried to do my part planting some Black-eyed Susans in the cement box by our front door. The flowers are now just starting to show signs of blooms, so I guess in the future we should mix some early blooming plants with some later blooming ones. Soon, however, we should have some nice yellow flowers out front.

As I stated before, we are starting a Green Space Committee in the building to hopefully create green spaces around the property, talk about improving unused areas, and to maybe get involved with Gateway Greening's garden too. If you'd like to get involved, email me and let me know.

Below are some pictures from the garden next door.
















No comments: